Blog Journal #7: Teacher Pages, Technology & Professional Responsibilities, and PBWorks Experience

From the several school websites I visited, I noticed that class announcements, student resources, and class calendars were among the links and pages available for public view. While some of the class pages featured teacher introductory pages, it was not the majority which I would appreciate as a parent. I imagine if I were a parent or student of the school myself, I may have special access to different ways to contact the teacher (email, phone, etc) or perhaps additional class resources such as ways to contact student peers, class readings, or more in depth calendars may be available.

After doing a little research, I found a slew of productivity applications for use by teachers that featured several I could foresee myself using in my future classroom. One of which is the app, Remind, which allows for real-time communication between a whole group or with just a single person. What I also like about Remind is the, as the name suggests, remind function which assist students and parents alike keep up to date with school events, projects, homework, and more. I also fancied the app BookWidgets. BookWidgets helps teacher stay on top of grading as it automatically grades digital assignments or tests. While it cannot grade free-write responses, it will definitely take some of the pressure off of grading. 

While I enjoy trying out new technologies, I cannot see myself utilizing a wiki platform such as PB Works in the future. While I liked being able to design my own wiki, including what I wanted and where, it lacked horribly in the aesthetics department. Without being able to make it look pleasing, I did not enjoy the experience of using PB Works as much as other sites. If I were to use a wiki with my future K-12 students, I would have them design their own wikis. This, of course, would be with older students and I imagine them using the site to possibly display research with the link function or use it as a blog for literary characters.

Link to site visited: https://www.leonschools.net/Page/22545
Screenshot:









Comments