Blog Journal #8: Web Design, Diigo, & Technology and Teacher PD

I, personally, loved working on the Web Design assignment as I love anything that involves creativity. That does not mean the assignment was not without its ups and downs however. For me, it took quite a bit of trial-and-error to learn how best to format my website--how to change the theme color and fonts, how to alter the layout of the pages, how to properly format pictures as background. Google and a Weebly support board were my best friends. After I was more well-versed (and after several huge failures) I began to thoroughly enjoy the platform and can see myself utilizing Weebly as a class webpage should I need one. The link to my homepage is: https://hrigdoneme2040.weebly.com

While I can appreciate the ability to annotate any text while on almost any web page, I have found Diigo more a hinderance than a help. In my future classroom, I would most likely utilize Diigo for students to share resources during research opportunities--linking to different journals and articles they find to assist the group at large. I think it could also be useful for students to use to post current events--finding articles about local, national, or global news, and posting for their peers to also learn about. I feel with professional team members, I would use it in a similar manner, for resource sharing.

There is a continuous stream of learning that teachers must do everyday to keep up with the ever-changing landscape of technology, and I must say it seems exhausting. Technology can assist educators with many items on their to-do lists such helping create more efficient lesson plans (no more having to write on the board in real time), keeping up with student activities (easily and quickly keeping attendance records as well as student behavioral charts), as well as more easily grading assignments by use of different softwares, which could otherwise take up much of their time. By becoming so tech-fluent, however, I think educators should also remember it is not the end-all-be-all in our classrooms. Students come from a variety of different backgrounds, and while a well-made PowerPoint may work for the majority of the class, others may need more traditional, oral instruction. 








Comments

  1. Hey there. I loved your Weekly website that you created for your class. According to the "CRAP" guidelines, I believe you followed it very well. Your website was very organized and very simple. There wasn't much going on which I liked because then it would've been distracting to the eye. You texts for each web page was the same, and it was the right size. The font wasn't too big yet not too small either. Your webpage was unique. For the future, I recommend expanding your "Menu" bar. It would've been easier to navigate if you incorporated more menu options. Besides that, the website was clean and appealing to the eye. Overall, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Harley, you have created a great website for your class. It was very appealing to the eye and I also enjoyed how everything was straight forward. The font and picture organization was great and I loved the header you created in canva. All the guidelines checked off on your website and it was enjoyable. One thing I would change is make the tabs of the site easier accessed for parents who may struggle navigating websites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I really enjoyed viewing your website! The site itself was super easy to navigate, and was also very visually pleasing. It was extremely organized, and each page that was on the menu bar was similar in design. You followed all of the design guidelines, and your website looks great! Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment